Invention Convention Details
Due Date: Model must be brought to school on the morning of April 29
Grades: 4th and 5th
NOTE: The models created by the 4th and 5th graders will be on exhibit in the school and there will be an opportunity during the school day for the younger grades to view the models.
The dictionary says that an invention is the discovery or production of some new or improved process or machine that is both useful and is not obvious to persons skilled in the particular field. So if you find a need, and come up with an idea that will fulfill that need, you have made an invention!
The objective of this event is to promote problem solving and creative thinking skills. Students may work alone or with a partner (same or different class). Students should be prepared to speak about/demonstrate their invention at the fair. Teachers will give students class time to present their ideas.
What the students are to do:
- Build a model of their invention.
- Space is limited so if the invention is large please do not bring it into school. Students can include pictures of the invention on their trifold poster or make a video to show on their personal electronic device at the night event. Power supplies are not available for any invention or equipment.
- Design a trifold poster board which answers the following questions:
- How did you come up with the idea?
- What is your invention used for?
- What problem/challenge does your invention help solve?
- Who will use it?
- How does it work?
- Does something like it already exist? If so, how is your invention better?
Here is the form fourth and fifth graders must submit by April 1st.